Monday, April 22, 2013

An Unexpected Call of Longing

About a month ago, a reader asked me to go more indepth with my struggles.  So, here we go, this one will be very deep and very personal.  I am opening my soul and showing you the scars.

In my blog post Q&A #2, I mentioned about an old co-worker that had said she loved me...and not like a sister.  We were really good friends. We competed for commissions at work, we laughed and joked, and stepped in to defuse a rough situation with an irate person.  I had a knowledge that if she didn't respect me, or I didn't have such a solid marriage; things, WOULD have happened.

Well, five years ago, she up and married an Army man and moved away.  I remember, feeling sad that one of my buddies was gone.  But, I also remember feeling so grateful that she did move away, that my temptation was removed.

Only recently did I finally tell her something she knew all along...that I was bi too.  She laughed and said, "I KNEW it!  Oh, babe, I wished I'd have been there to help you through it!" I laughed too, grateful for another  supporter in my corner.

We see each other on facebook (fb), we text and very rarely call.  Well, last week I was asking her (via fb) if she had heard of the band Halestorm.  I'm a HUGE fan.  It doesn't help that I also have a HUGE crush on the lead singer! lol.  She mentioned she's never heard of them, I told her when I got the chance, I'd send some video links. Tonight, I saw that she was online and missing everyone here, in her hometown.  We started chatting and I remembered to send her over the links I promised.  I started to do that.

I do need to pause and say something important regarding this incident. In the past, she has been drunk while telling she loved me...tonight, she was stone cold sober.

Then my phone rang.  It was her.  We talked and caught up, had a great time.  Then she turned to the more personal subject...us...even though there never really was an "us".  She told me she loved me, and that she always has.  That she would get so excited seeing me come through the door at work, or she'd be mad if I called in.  I had a very real, very deep visceral reaction.  I hadn't felt that in a long time...it took me a minute realize what just happened.

Longing.  I haven't had anyone other than my husband profess those words to me and make me feel this way.  It wasn't, by far to the magnitude that I've felt with my husband (something he still makes me feel).  But it was there, it was real, it was a re-opened scar.  I must admit, it scared me a bit.
I'm having a big what if moment right now.  What if I was the one she ran away with, not him...what would my life had been like?  Would we be happy?  Would we have kids? Would we last?

I sit here tonight pondering those questions.  I'm giving them more thought tonight than I normally do.  This woman was the closest thing to a girlfriend without doing more than a hug or a peck on the cheek.  Hell, I even wrote a song/poem about it. And, from the sounds of it, there will probably be another one coming up soon.

She did mention she was hoping to come visit her folks soon.  I am filled with mixed emotions on this.  I would LOVE to see her, but at the same time, I'm afraid to see her.

So, this was a very raw, very emotion-driven post tonight.  It has been a bit of a relief in itself to write this...getting this off my chest.  I hope, that bearing this deep part of me, you find what you're looking for.

<3

Jessie

6 comments:

  1. Jessie - Thank you so much for sharing this. It is so interesting to juxtapose the longing you feel for your friend, a woman, versus the longing you feel for your husband. It seems that, though you are bisexual, they still fill different needs, pull at you in different ways. This must be very hard. I have also worried about myself, whether, in a situation similar to yours, I would be able to withstand that longing, to hold back. I hope you are able to reconnect with this dear friend in a way that soothes that ache while keeping your relationships healthy and happy. More power to you, girl. Keep writing and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juxtapose, wow, I haven't heard that word in ages, and it fits just perfectly...a complex word for a complex situation!

      You're right, that it does pull in different ways. I would love to reconnect with her, we were "like peas and carrots"...but if she comes to town to visit and I am not feeling ready for this, I will suddenly be "busy"...and I know she would understand in the end.

      She does respect me enough not to try anything unless I give an "okay". And I will remember my temple covenants. We wear our garments as a reminder. I think that, and a TON of prayer will get me through this. It has before!! Thanks for your comment!!

      <3
      Jessie

      Delete
  2. Wow Jessie, thank you for sharing such deep emotions in this very personal experience. I am very impressed by your strength.

    One of my favorite chapters of scripture is Moses 7, where Enoch has the vision of the Weeping God. It's incredible to read how sensitive the Father is. Becoming like our Heavenly Parents must, in part, require us to develop that infinite vulnerability through heavy, sometimes bewildering, sacrifice.

    I think it's quite clear The Lord likes broken things. For instance, broken clouds bring rain; broken ground grows grain; broken wheat is made into bread; which, when broken, we are fed. (paraphrased from a source escaping me right now...)

    Keep the faith,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Sam. Very profound words indeed. You're right, he really does like broken things! :)

      I'm going to write sometime today in regards of talking to two dear friends about this and the amazing things they said to me. :)

      Thank you Sam for reading and responding!

      <3

      Jessie

      Delete
  3. I can relate to this on so many levels. I applaud your candidness and strength to share your story. I must say I hope you can reconnect but I also fear for what that could mean... I worry it would be hard to stop. And then what would that mean? what would happen next?
    I'm with you when you say you haven't felt that way in a long time and those feelings and hearing those confessions are addictive. Listen to your heart... the head can sometimes make you crazy. Real life is difficult and often times boring as he** ..... while fantasies are lovely, but they aren't real... Don't forget that dear Jessie. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words. Yes, I haven't forgotten it. We still chat, more often lately but those feelings, while there aren't as strong as that first night. She still says it, but I kinda change the subject.

      They are addictive. It's hard some days not to think about.

      <3

      Jessie

      Delete