Monday, April 22, 2013

I Pick Up Chicks

I've always found that I'm always in the right place at the right time, even though I might not see it until later in the day.

Take today for instance; my plan was to go to "work" (I take care of my husband's grandma daily. She has dementia).  Run to Costco, and then run to the bike shop to pick up my bike that needed a little tweak.

Our exchange student suddenly called and needed something from home before 1 p.m., but I was too far away from home. Luckily hubby was home. So, I pulled over (no talking on cell phones...bleck) and sat for about 15 minutes getting everything taken care of.  Then, at Costco, there was a HUGE line...very weird for a Monday. I then went clear across the other part of town to pick up my bike.  On my way home, I found a couple bucks in my car as my tummy rumbled, I thought I'd grab a burger.  Something said, "Nah, you can wait till you get home." So, I did.

On my way home, I saw a woman stranded, trying in vain to flag someone down to help. I pulled over, she said she needed a jump. I turned my car around, got my bike off the rack, shoved the groceries to the back and dug to get my jumper cables. We hooked it up, she tried starting it and her car started smoking. I offered her a lift, she declined saying her sister is coming. I asked if she wanted me to stay until she came. She said no. So, I went, repacked the car, put my bike back up and continued home.

I was maybe two miles from home, when I saw an older woman, probably in her 60's, walking.  We live a little outside the city limits, so she still had about 2 miles to go to the nearest houses.  I slowed downed and hollered, "You want a ride?" She smiled and yelled "Yes!" and came running over.  We talked on our way, and she's was really thankful because she wore some sandals that aren't good walking and had a ways to go.  I dropped her off, waved goodbye and headed home.  And I came to a realization...

I pick up chicks.  I pick them up when they're in need.  I RARELY stop to help guys...and I think it's mainly a safety reason.  The last time I did, was in a blizzard in the middle of nowhere and the guy was waving people down in the middle of the road...I almost hit him...they hit a patch of ice and got stuck in a bank and couldn't get out.  But, the spirit told me I'd be okay.

But, in the midst of the craziness of things not going right, there was something right. I was able to come to the aid of not one, but two daughters of God.  My hope is that you will find this inspiring and pass it along.  There is so much hate in this cruel world...we need more of just touching someone's life for a second and leave them feeling better.  But please, do NOT do it just because I've said so.  Follow the spirit...there have been times that I knew I shouldn't pull over, even when it was a chick.  Safety is always first!

Charity is the full love of Christ.

<3
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment