Monday, June 20, 2016

Orlando

First and foremost, the post today will not be about gun control or political in ANY way. If I get comments about anything negative, I WILL delete.
So, unless you have been living under a rock for a week like I have, you've already heard about the shooting at an LGBT night club in Orlando, Florida. I was in Alaska on vacation and didn't have much service, so only got the basics.
I was so sad when it happened. I am always sad when something like this occurs. This one hit close to home. A place that is one of the few safe havens LGBT people have. A place where they can have fun, be themselves, and enjoy some music with no judgments.
So, to have that feel of safety taken away from you, it's hard to deal with. I've even found myself checking on all the exits whenever we're at a movie theater to see how to best evacuate my friends and family if needed.
It is called terror for a reason.
Now, something more positive. While I was in Alaska, all the flags were at half mast, meaning the country is in mourning. Alaska is over 4,000 miles away from Orlando, and yet, here, in a very small city, there were people thinking of the victims of Orlando.
Everytime I saw a flag being flown at half mast, I stopped, said a little prayer and kept moving. My son had a lot of questions and ended our talk with, "That really sucks. No one should be killed just because they want to dance." I agree full heartedly buddy!
But even in the far reaches of our country, people were hurting. They mourned with you. I mourned with you. It was a beautiful, sad, and powerful.
The stories of kindness that are coming out of Orlando are just amazing to hear about!
It makes me feel pride in America...no matter the race, color, orientation, etc...when the chips are down, we do reach out and help are fellow man. While we still have a ways to go in the kindness department in general, this little spark of love is going to be pretty hard to deminish.
Love you all so!
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment