Friday, May 3, 2013

A Homeless Man, A Transgender and Strawberries

How, you ask, do all of these fit in the same sentence?  Well, I'll tell you.  Cycling.

Like I've mentioned before, I'm trying to get back into marathon shape.  I'm slowly working up more and more.  I live in a valley outside the city, but if I go anywhere nearby, it's very very hilly.  I'm not ready to hit the big hills yet, so I went in the city to a beautiful river trail.  It's a very slow, gradual incline, so it's very nice for starting back out again.  I can go 1o-15 miles without a big problem.

It is a two lane biking/running only trail and in some spots can be a bit remote.  Anytime I pass someone going the opposite way, I always smile and nod (it's hard to wave.)

There is one area of the river that is frequented by homeless people.  As a general safety rule, I try not to stop in that area unless there are many people around (and I ALWAYS tell someone where I'm at, where my trip started and an approx time I should be back.)

But this time, I was coming down a hill and saw two obviously homeless men sitting at a little gazebo right along the side of the river.  I smiled and nodded.  I saw a him and thought he said something, but wasn't sure.  I felt I should turn around.  I did.  As I approached them, I asked if he was "flagging me down."

He said, "No beautiful!  I saw your lovely face grinning at me and was just saying hi." He grinned again and lifted up his hand.  That's when I noticed it.  This breaded, grinning, dreadlock, winter hat wearing man, only had a thumb on either hand.  He had palms, but they stopped at the knuckles.  He was one of the happiest misfits I've ever seen.  I looked at the man sitting next to him and noticed something else.  While he did have a 5 o'clock shadow, he had shoulder length hair, wearing a "blossom" hat (Blossom Hat), and a loosely tied off skirt over some leggings. She was adorable...she too was a misfit, and a very shy one at that.  They introduced themselves as Dave and Viv.

I started to stretch while we chatted and then offered some extra granola bars in my backpack.  They gave each other a look of excitement and said, "are you sure?!" I looked at them and said, "While I've never been where you are now, I've been close.  I may not have much, but I'm always willing to share."

He handed Viv a bar and then unwrapped his with much more ease than I thought able.  We sat and talked for a few minutes.  Viv sat quietly and watched while Dave and I conversed.  He was a disable vet down on his luck. We talked about the Bible, and that there might still be hope for humanity. He told me I was beautiful and may God bless me for stopping and showing kindness to them.  I told them, I needed to keep going, but, if I had time, I'll swing back by.

I kept going for about two more miles. I stopped, took a mini break, still thinking about those two lovely people.  I remembered I had some fresh strawberries in my pack too.  I ate just a few, and headed back to the gazebo.

They were still there when I stopped again.  Dave grinned and said, "Well hello again, beautiful!"  I pulled out the strawberries and said, "I have way too many here, please, help me eat them." they were even more excited this time...but they still asked me if I was sure.

Viv even joined in the conversation this time. She asked me what my sign was.  I forgot what else she had asked, I was just happy she joined in!

We kept talking.  Viv was from Orange County, but wouldn't say much more. Dave was from Michigan, third generation military man.  He said how much he missed his mama.  She died July 7th, 3 years ago.  He said how much he misses his family.  I asked if she was his only family.  Dave said no, but since his mom died, "Everything and everyone changed.  They got distant." he did say it was just as much his doing as his family.  He mentioned his desire to travel to where they live now (about two hours from where we were) to make amends and see everyone.

I hated to leave right then, but I had to pick up my son from school and had to book it to my car.  That's when I stood up, looked at both Dave and Viv and said, "We are all children of God."

Dave said, "Yes girl, we are."

I stood up, embraced him and kissed him on his cheek, "That makes you my brother." I reached over to Viv and embraced her, "And you my sister." They both smiled and had tears in their eyes.  Dave said, "Beautiful, you have made my day." and Viv nodded in agreement.  We said our goodbyes and I headed onward.

I haven't seen Viv again, but I did see Dave once more, and gave him an apple.  We chatted for a few minutes while he wolfed it down, as he was on his way to the library.

Before you judge someone by their clothes, their skin, their cleanliness...please stop and think of how they got there. Yes, sometimes it's drugs, but sometimes it's way more complicated.

Be nice to the homeless, they have very interesting lives and will help you out if you need it too.

<3

Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment