Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Great Loss

Ok, so I think overall, this is a good thing...but I'll explain in a minute why I said it was a "great loss".

Today, Angelina Jolie announced that she had a specific gene that greatly increases her chances of having breast and ovarian cancer, which the latter claimed her mother in her 50's.  So, she decided to have a double mastectomy. You can read the full story here.

So, I think, if you do get tested and have that specific gene, it could be a great way to prevent cancer from forming.  My mother-in-law is a two time breast cancer survivor.  When she first had it, they only did one, they didn't do a double like they do now.  And, well, it came back.  My sister has had cervical cancer as well as other female problems.  I have thought before of having some things removed to prevent that because I too have some female problems.  It's a scary thought.  The big "C" word scares a lot of folks.  Would you rather take preventive measures to not get it in the first place or risk getting it and going through the horrors of chemo?  Me personally, I'd say take 'em off.  I've seen what chemo does, it's not pretty...I'd rather lose the boobs than go through chemo or lose my life.

That being said, I am sad at the same time.  Angelina Jolie is my #1 on "the list" that every married couple says they don't have but do.  Ever since Tomb Raider (watched them over the weekend ironically!) I have had a HUGE crush on her!!  She, to me was a perfect specimen of beauty (both inside and out), philanthropy, kick ass chick movies, and crazy.

So, Miss Jolie, I applaud you for your bravery in speaking out about this in hopes to help other women to deal with this issue in their lives, and I'm sorry for yours, and the world's loss.

Yes, there was a bit of tongue and cheek in there.

Have a wonderful day all!

<3 Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment